“Three months after being admitted to Harvard Class of 2023, Harvard has decided to rescind my admission over texts and comments made nearly two years ago, months prior to the shooting,” Kyle Kashuv, 18, tweeted.
Kashuv said he “was made aware of egregious and callous comments” he and his classmates at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School made “privately” — “in an attempt to be as extreme and shocking as possible.”
“After I issued this apology, speculative articles were written, my peers used this opportunity to attack me, and my life was once again reduced to a headline,” he wrote. “It sent me into one of the darkest spirals of my life.
“After the story broke, former peers [and] political opponents began contacting Harvard urging them to rescind me,” he claimed.
“Harvard then sent this letter stating that Harvard ‘reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission’ and requested a written explanation within 72 hours.”
Kashuv said he responded to the Ivy League school’s May 24 letter with a “full explanation, apology, and requested documents,” adding that he sent an email to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to “seek guidance on how to right this wrong.”
In his explanation, Kashuv said he had been “part of a group in which we used abhorrent racial slurs.”
“We did so out of a misplaced sense of humor: We treated the words themselves as though they bore little weight and used them only for their shock value,” he added.
He said that despite his actions, Harvard decided to withdraw his coveted admission.
“As you know, the Committee takes seriously the qualities of maturity and moral character,” Harvard wrote in a letter dated June 3 that Kashuv shared on Twitter.
“We are sorry about the circumstances that have led us to withdraw your admission, and we wish you success in your future academic endeavors and beyond.”
Kashuv said he then sent an email to Harvard Admissions Dean William Fitzsimmons, asking for an in-person meeting to “make my case face to face and work towards any possible path of reconciliation.”
Fitzsimmons rejected the request, Kashuv said.
“Harvard deciding that someone can’t grow, especially after a life-altering event like the shooting, is deeply concerning,” Kashuv tweeted.
“If any institution should understand growth, it’s Harvard, which is looked to as the pinnacle of higher education despite its checkered past,” he wrote.
“Throughout its history, Harvard’s faculty has included slave owners, segregationists, bigots and antisemites. If Harvard is suggesting that growth isn’t possible and that our past defines our future, then Harvard is an inherently racist institution. But I don’t believe that,” he continued.
Kashuv noted that the deadline for accepting other college offers has passed and that he is “exploring all options at the moment.”
A Harvard spokesman told The Post in a statement, “We do not comment publicly on the admissions status of individual applicants,” adding that the university reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission under certain conditions.
After the Parkland shooting, Kashuv became an outspoken gun rights activist, and a high school outreach director for pro-President Trump group Turning Point U.S.A.
He stepped down from that role last month to focus on pushing for school safety legislation before attending Harvard, according to Newsweek.
Nikolas Cruz, who confessed to the Valentine’s Day massacre, faces 17 counts each of first-degree murder and attempted murder.