USA

Derrius Guice ‘adamantly denies’ domestic violence charge; criticizes NFL team for release

The lawyer for running back Derrius Guice, who was arrested on domestic violence-related charges and released by the Washington Football Team, said Guice “adamantly denies” the charges and the NFL team rushed to judgment with the 23-year-old player.

Guice was arrested Friday.

Defense attorney Peter Greenspun, in a statement, was critical of the process that led to Guice’s arrest.

“On August 7, 2020, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office obtained arrest warrants for Derrius Guice,” Greenspun said. “Unfortunately, the investigators did not seek a statement or any input from Derrius before the warrants were issued.”

The charges include one count of strangulation, three counts of assault and battery and one count of destruction of property.

The charges stem from incidents that happened earlier this year — on Feb. 14, March 13 and April 17 — in Loudoun County, where Guice lives and the team’s headquarters and practice facility is located.

The allegations against Guice were first reported in Montgomery County, where the victim lives, and the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office first learned of them on July 22.

“The failure to fully investigate allegations of events, which allegedly took place months ago, is inexplicable,” said Greenspun.

Guice turned himself in and was released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.

“Based only on the assertion of these unsubstantiated charges, the Washington Football Team released Derrius, also without any inquiry as to what did or did not take place.”

Guice’s attorney said his client was expected to be a key player for the team this season, “yet he was released without a single question as to what occurred.”

Greenspun, who has represented high-profile defendants in the region, including Beltway Sniper John Allen Muhammad, said Guice will defend the charges in court.

“A full vetting of the allegations will take place, in contrast to actions by local law enforcement and the Washington Football Team that assumed the worst, directly contradicting every sense of fairness and due process,” said Greenspun.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2020 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Football news:

Barcelona announced Suarez's move to Atletico
Barcelona will receive 2 million euros for the transfer of Suarez in the seasons when Atletico reaches the 1/4 finals of the Champions League
Chelsea's newcomers came off in the League Cup: Havertz scored a hat-trick (the first of his career), Chilwell an assist, Silva played an hour
Manchester United will lose 139.39 million pounds if the Premier League season is held without spectators - the most in the League
Ruediger - Barcelona's priority transfer target
Arsenal have won 6 matches in a row
Inter midfielder vesino is In talks with Napoli. He was offered to Zenit