Shopping may look different for a variety of reasons right now, not least of which is civil unrest and national protests following the death of George Floyd. Albeit a somber moment, if you’re looking to save money this June on any of your planned summer buys (or Father’s Day gifts), there are myriad opportunities to do so. As the country slowly rolls back stay-at-home orders, a taste of normalcy is starting to surface. Alongside it are sales and deals to incentivize summer shopping (and help retailers recuperate from the past several months). We consulted Julie Ramhold, a consumer analyst from DealNews.com, to learn more about navigating shopping during June. We also took a deeper dive into specific sales on appliances, outdoor products, apparel and tech deals offered throughout the month.
Full coverage of George Floyd’s death and protests around the country
Some of the best appliance deals we found can be purchased at Lowe’s, Best Buy and Amazon. If you’re in need of a new washer, for example, check out the Samsung High Efficiency Stackable Washer, which is currently discounted by $250. The highly-rated Anova Sous Vide is a good deal for home cooks. Outdoors enthusiasts will find savings in the $100 range on grills and patio furniture. Clothing and footwear are not the most convenient to shop online — saving up to 30 percent on warm weather apparel from Bloomingdale’s and Nike might ease that obstacle. Finally, June tech deals abound, including sales on the bestselling AirPods and the iRobot Roomba Vacuum — which can make cleaning the house as easy as asking for it.
In this article
- What to shop during June
- Best June 2020 sales from major retailers
- Best appliance deals
- Best outdoor deals
- Best apparel and footwear deals
- Best tech deals
- Other June sales to consider
What to shop during June
Typically, clothing starts to go on sale as the weather gets warmer, but Ramhold notes discounts may show up differently this year. “Depending on whether or not a store wants to recapture some of the lost revenue from the last few months, the discounts might not be as good as what we normally see,” she says. Still, she expects retailers to cut prices on clothing up to 50 percent — advising you pay particular attention to discounts on workout gear and summer shoes. Appliance sales are also worth noting. “Surprisingly, we tend to see a good number of deals on window and portable air conditioners during the month of June,” says Ramhold, who added she expects smaller models and personal air conditioners to go on sale for under $150.
Early July 4th sales will start appearing toward the end of June and spring sales are likely to pop up throughout the month, Ramhold says that a majority of sales will fall near Father’s Day — which lands on June 21. “This year, these sales should be an especially good time to keep an eye out for spring clothing on the cheap,” she said. “Undoubtedly, some stores will be trying to clear their shelves of merchandise left over from the previous three months.” To find additional details, Ramhold recommends following your favorite stores on social media, signing up for newsletters or setting a Google alert for terms like “summer sale” or “Father’s Day sale.”
Best June 2020 sales from various retailers
While Ramhold points out that some stores will have specific summer or Father’s Day sales, others will run independent sales on everything from accessories to appliances to home items. Here are some of the best large sales from popular retailers.
- Apple is giving you up to $320 off a new iPhone with trade in.
- Backcountry is offering up to 25 percent off select new gear and apparel.
- Banana Republic is offering 40 percent off sitewide.
- Best Buy is giving you over $1,000 off select TVs, up to $250 off laptops and more.
- Bloomingdale’s is providing up to 60 percent off sitewide.
- Bose is offering over 25 percent off headphones and speakers.
- Brooks Brothers is offering 25 percent off on bundle deals.
- Gap is offering 60 percent off everything plus an extra 20 percent off sitewide.
- The Home Depot is offering up to $100 off select power tools.
- Lowe's is giving you up to 40 percent off appliances.
- Macy’s is offering up to 60 percent off summer styles and home items.
- Nike is offering up to 40 percent off sneakers, slides and athletic shoes.
- Nordstrom is providing up to 60 percent off clearance items.
- Old Navy is giving you an extra 50 percent off sale and 30 percent off sitewide.
- Outdoor Voices is giving you up to $35 off mix-and-match favorites.
- Saks Fifth Avenue is offering up to 70 percent off select styles.
- Sharper Image is offering 20 percent cash back on orders over $99.
- Williams Sonoma is offering up to 75 percent off their warehouse sale.
Best appliance deals to shop
As NBC BETTER previously reported, the Anova Precision Cooker was one of the best ones to buy. It works by circulating heated water in a pot, according to your desired doneness. The time and temperature controls — along with the easy-to-read display — minimize the chance of over or under cooking food.
This small kitchen appliance doubles as an air fryer and a toaster oven, making it a good buy if you have minimal countertop space. It lets you customize the temperature at which to cook your food and has a variety of functions including toasting, cooking, frying, warming or baking.
The Costway Portable Air Conditioner can cover up to 400-square-feet of space and ranges in temperature from 62-degrees to 86-degrees. Thanks to a remote control, you can set your desired temperature from afar and the digital display allows you to clearly read the functions and current mode.
Equipped with a capacity of 4.2 cubic feet, this washer is designed to wash up to 28 bath towels in a single load. Its self-clean technology cleans the drum to avoid odor-causing bacteria and it cradles clothes for a quieter wash cycle.
Best outdoor deals to shop
The Hampton Bay 3-piece sectional is made with all-weather wicker to avoid quick deterioration or damage from wind, rain and sun. The steel frame provides durability and the ottoman can double as a table when the cushion is removed.
The Traeger Eastwood 22 Wood Pellet Grill has steel-coated cooking grates to prevent food from sticking to the surface as well as a hot rod ignition for a quick lighting process. It also has an 18-pound hopper capacity, allowing for hours of cooking without the need to refill with new wood.
Best apparel and footwear deals to shop
In our previous coverage of the Nike Vaporfly, podiatrist Velimir Petkov, DMP, said he favors carbon-filled plates because they provide stability in the sole. The Nike Zoom Fly 3 includes that plate, as well as the Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT%.
This polo shirt has a cotton construction and a regular-fit silhouette. The spread collar gives it a polished look while the short sleeves are a classic style that make it a good choice for anyone looking to buy a versatile wardrobe staple.
Best tech deals to shop
The AirPods are the best earbuds for Apple users because they’re Bluetooth compatible and have an ergonomic design that makes them comfortable for most ears, among other reasons. The AirPods allow you to access Siri as well as perform tasks — like changing the song or volume — by double tapping the earbud.
The iRobot Roomba 367 Vacuum can connect with your home Wi-Fi network so you can start your cleaning job with a voice command. It’s one of the best smart vacuums because it can target dirt-heavy areas and clean them with a special brush designed for edges and corners.
Other June sales to consider
- Bonobos is offering 40 percent off gift sets with code THANKSDAD.
- BooksAMillion is giving you 40 percent off Stephen King books.
- Carihola is offering 20 percent off sitewide on bedding, bath, clothing and more.
- Converse is giving you an extra 20 percent off clearance with code SALE20.
- East Dane is offering an extra 25 percent off sale and up to 60 percent off sitewide with code JUNE25.
- Dagne Dover is offering 10 percent off sitewide and will donate 10 percent to charity with code TOGETHER.
- Everything Tech Gear is giving you over 25 percent off select products.
- Farfetch is providing up to 50 percent off clothing, shoes and accessories.
- Finish Line is giving yo up to 50 percent off top brands like Nike and Adidas.
- Gamestop is having a flash sale with up to 50 percent off pre-owned games.
- Greats is offering 20 percent off sitewide.
- Horizon Fitness is offering 45 percent off the 7.4 AT Treadmill, as well as 0 percent financing for 36 months sitewide.
- Shopbop is offering an extra 25 percent off sale and up to 60 percent off sitewide with code JUNE25.
- Verishop is offering up to 50 percent off top brands like Richer Poorer, Vince, Ghost Democracy and more.